Wednesday, June 6, 2007

May 6, 2007 Ride

Hill Country Lake Run

This ride started at Dan's Hambugers at Manchaca and Ben White. This is our second time starting this way, so I guess it is our tradition now. Our entire group was ready to ride - Jim, Don, Kevin and myself.

From Dan's we took Hwy 71. At Spicewood we to a farm to market road side road. The wildflowers were plentiful and made the ride very enjoyable. The cactus plants were blooming their brilliant yellow flowers. I wish I had brought along my camera to capture the images.



From the side road we looped back to Hwy 71. We took a left at 71, thinking that we were heading toward Marble Falls. After a couple of miles we realize we were heading back to Austin. The sign saying we were leaving Blanco county and entering Travis was a tell tale sign that we were heading the wrong direction.

Heading back to Marble Falls on 71, Jim did his characteristic "speed run" on a straight, flat stretch of road before 281. I hit fofo's throttle until hitting 95 mph. At that speed my feet started to float of the foot pegs... it was a weird sensation, so I let off the throttle. I think Jim's speed runs will be a Holy Hog tradition too - yeah!

At Marble Falls we spent time looking to a place called "2 Alarm Chili" for lunch. We never found it and decided to eat at Sonic instead.

At Sonic we had a devotion based on a Casting Crowns song "Does anyone hear her" from the Lifesong album. All the riders in the group are fathers and have daughters, so I think the devotion was very relevant. We all need to understand our daughters better in today's culture, and we all need to be more accepting of hurting people coming into The Church. Do you have 4.5 minutes to check out the video?



From the Sonic at Marble Falls, we took FM 1431 back into North Austin. The stretch of road between Marble Falls and Lago Vista was absolutely breathtaking. I really wish I had my camera. The wildflowers along the side of the road were in full bloom. It was a winding and hill two lane road and the flowers look at like carpet or sea of yellow, reds and occasional blues. God's masterful hand in creation was compellingly evident in the spectacular beauty of this 25 minute part of the ride. It was so awesome we had to pull off the road and just take in the beauty of the scenery - Thank You Lord!

The rest of the trip took us through Central Austin and back to Dan's.

It was a great ride with great group of guys through God's great creation.

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)

No comments: